Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Help/advice with headlight bulbs?

I have a 2003 Saturn L300 and I am looking at putting in some Nokya Magnum Cosmic White size H11. The bulbs I have in now are 55w and theses are 85w do I need to put in an HID kit or should they work with the stock setup?Help/advice with headlight bulbs?
I tried the exact same thing on my fiesta. It melted the stalk switch and almost caused a fire. As most cabling is rated at the bare minimum for cost reasons, you are advised to replace the main feeds - and earths with a double wire, or relpace with an uprated wire. Take a main feed from the battery+ through an inline fuse kit - to the contacts of a heavy duty relay - from there to your lights. Use your existing wiring to power the relay.





To recap you need - Heavy cabling for 2x100w, single contact HD relay, Inline fuse.Help/advice with headlight bulbs?
I agree with ';Mr. P'; assessment.


If you are looking for an HID effect - then get an HID kit but don't shortcut the process by sticking higher powered bulbs into a socketed rated at a lower rating. Some engineer got paid big bucks to design the lighting system on your car - including the materials in the bulb socket. I wouldn't risk a meltdown and possible fire situation to get an HID effect.


Just chunk down the ';benjamins'; and get the kit that again is designed by some high $$$$$$ engineer and do it right the first time - rather than risk a very costly ';meltdown';.


Thumbs up to ';Mr. P'; for his answer!!!!


Happy Motoring

No comments:

Post a Comment