Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I need some advice oin how to trim my dog's hair at home. Can you help?

My dog is a wonderful, 16 yr. old Lhasa Apso. He's a bit cranky when i trim his fur in some places, but I have to keep him trimmed during the Az. summer day heat. Any advice on how to trim a grumpy, old dog?I need some advice oin how to trim my dog's hair at home. Can you help?
I had to trim my bearded collie when he got older and was really sick. This was a dog who loved being groomed and had hair down to the ground, but he just didn't enjoy the grooming anymore, so I cut him short so he looked like a 6 month old puppy.





If your dog can tolerate standing long enough, just take a good, sharp pair of scissors and cut his hair to a uniform length of a couple of inches. If he can't stand, do it in stages or have him lying on his side. Use blunt-tipped scissors to trim his face and paws.





You don't want to cut him too short because he needs some coat for protection from the sun. Lots of quiet praise while you're trimming and give him a few treats now and then. He'll feel better when he's done and it'll all be worth it.I need some advice oin how to trim my dog's hair at home. Can you help?
Be careful when trimming the hair on a grumpy dog, first sounds stupid but you do not want to get bit. Second you do not want to accidental cut your dog in the process. One thing to look into is a school for Grooming are usually looking for practice animals. Give them a call and see if you can get your dog in.
Go to Animal planet then go to the show me or the dog, they have advice on how to train/groom etc... your dogs. Also have someone hold a treat in front of it and let him nip at at while you do it, but don't let him eat it all untill you are done, this keeps him distracted and lets him know something good comes when he gets groomed.
A professional groomer is best but if you can't, you can actually ask your vet for a mild sedative. That's what we did for our yorkie because she is just scared to death of groomers. She just slept while we trimmed her really well! :]
With lots of patience. Remember, it may be painful or uncomfortable for him to have to be put into certain positions. It may be easier if you have a second person to help you hold him.
You can take the dog to the vet and they'll do it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment