Saturday, August 21, 2010

Any runners? I need advice. Help!?

Ok I am about 30 pounds overweight and have tried walking but I always quit doing it. I started running about two weeks ago (and haven't done it in about 10 years) and I really enjoy how it makes me feel. I have started slow and I'm not trying to overdo it. And I make sure to stretch and all that.





But my problem is now my knees are killing me! Is this normal? Will it go away? Is it something I will get used to? My husband says it shin splints, but I don't know. Is it my shoes? What shoes do you recommend for someone without much arch? Thanks for any advice!Any runners? I need advice. Help!?
Running 30lbs overweight is nothing, but don't ignore pain in your legs or knees.





FIRST you need to have your shoes professionally assessed. If you're not sure about the type of shoe you're wearing and you're experiencing knee pain that's the most likely culprit. You can go into specialty running or sports stores and the staff can watch you run in your current shoes, videotape you on a treadmill in neutral tread shoes and recommend to you the best footwear for your footfall (overpronator or supinator etc). Your current shoes may be fine and they'll tell you, but it's worth the trip. Cheaper than a doctor's visit.





For the knees or shins, you can use RICE to attack the pain after the run Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Use anti-inflammatories but never before running. See the website http://www.coolrunning.com for more advice and support for runners. I'll try to include an injury/footwear link. I'm more overweight than you, started running the first time in my life 5 months ago, do it 3-5 times a week up to 6 miles, no injuries very happy. Weight is a risk factor for injury but running is the best exercise for weight loss and has the best return on calories burned and endorphins earned. I HATE when people get on a pedestal or give me unsolicited advice, telling me I need to be walking instead of running (I too can't keep that up because it's not intense or exciting).





Keep up the good work and see a doc if it continues to get worse!Any runners? I need advice. Help!?
First of all, get some green tea, it helps your loose weight. Your knees are hurting? This usually happens. Its normal. Just in case, go visit your doctor. Make sure you bring a lot of water, and eat properly. I reccamend getting these sheos, there called nike ';free'; They are ment for running, and there very supportive they mave your feet breath, and it makes you feel like your walking on clouds. I reccamend them. The price range varies on them,


($56 - $84) there nikes, here are some links to sheo store websites that carry them.





Theres many styles.. Dont worry =]





http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/鈥?/a>





http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/鈥?/a>





Heres a website to learn more about them





http://www.nike.com/nikefree/





http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/advanc鈥?/a>








I hoped i helped you.
CAFFINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!








I used to be Hot and now I am pudgy! How did I get fit..........








lots and lots of tea and coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





hyperactivity worked for me doing aerobics
Lots of questions.


1. The knee problems could be due to the weight. However, they need to be x-rayed and/or M.R.I.'d to be sure.


2. Shin splints are in the shins.


3. A podiatrist can prescribe shoes that support the arch. If you can not see one, try over the counter arch supports.





Also, try a stationary bike and/or treadmill B-4 hitting the concrete.


Have fun.
I have been doing cross country for a long time...


Get proper running shoes, with a thick (not high) sole.


Dont get nike. Go to your pharmacy (drugstore) and they might have protections for your knee, go and ask!
hey it's good that u've started something to try get in shape. running is a very healthy exercise and good for your heart. don't ignore the pains in your knees, it could lead to something serious. my advice is to get them checked out (by like a physio or someone) if you can't do that immediately, try knee guards to take some strain off them.


to get really fit, here's so running advice if u have access to a track.


run the 400m at 50% effort, take a 2 minute rest, run it again at 50% take a 3 minute rest, run it again at 100%


try this maybe twice a week and every week, increase the intensity and decrease the rest time. try and better your 100% time everytime you do it. Good luck!
Running is bad when you are overweight. Can hurt your ankles and damage the knees
Your husband is over reacting he probably heard shin splints from a news show maybe even water cooler talk but chances are you either didnt strech or you need to ice your knee dont sweat it I have been playing football for 7 years I have have delt with alot of pain ICE is #1 and get Icy hot pads i swear those things are life savers and if you must take Ibuprofen a pain releaver unlike tynanol and advil it wont inflame your mucles so you can keep on running. get well soon keep up the good work
running will do that to you. try powerwalking

No comments:

Post a Comment