Saturday, August 21, 2010

I'm having a career dilemma, can you help me? Any advice would be appreciated?

OK, I just grduated from law school. Now, 2 companies want to hire me, comapny A and company B.





Company A: I trained there before, I know one of the partners who is VERYYYY successful, and I would be working in his team. Bigger firm than company B (second biggest in my country), lower sallary (but I TRUELY don't mind, the difference ain't that big anyway). Right next to me, will be walking to go there which is aplus because traffic here is horrible.





Company B: Smaller firm, yet a big one. 4th or 5th biggest here in my country. Bigger sallary, but would have the title of ';trainee'; for 2 years, and THEN specialize. 30 mins by car, traffic and parking are horrible.





How can I choose???? Thanks!I'm having a career dilemma, can you help me? Any advice would be appreciated?
My choice would be company A - not a trainee position, no commute, bigger company, possibility of a quick promotion plus the fact that you are already familiar with the company.


Peace and blessings!I'm having a career dilemma, can you help me? Any advice would be appreciated?
Company A seems to be the better choice, I agree with the fact that you don't mind the difference in payscale, that it would just be wear and tear on your car. Plus if you already know someone at Company A that would make it all the easier to settle in comfortably.


Good Luck!
Think about the reputation for working with the bigger company. Looks better on a CV.
Congrats on graduating from law school!





Since the salary doesnt matter to you, I'd go with company A. You'd save money by walking/biking to work instead of driving because you won't be using gas up as quickly and also reduce wear on your car. Also, you already know people there.
Company A closer and more over known ... is better than unknown angel
COMPANY A.





- Working with a successful person will also make you successful.





- You're trained here so it would be much easier than to train all over again at company B





- Hey, it's right next to you; if the traffic is horrible in both companies A and B why not choose to travel more efficiently :) Also walking is eco-friendly.





- If you impress your boss they would increase your rank and/or wage!! It is likely to happen because you're trained and also you graduated a law school.





-If you think about it, fuel for your car is going to cost ALOT if you are going to travel 30 mins + traffic. It is also time consuming. You would also get more sleep and there would be less stress on you. If you're stressed by driving through traffics for so long it might have affect on your health which also might cost you money... and if parking cost money then thats alot of money lost too. Walking is good excercise also.
Company A is the obvious choice.


You already trained there and you know one of the partners. That can possibly lead to opportunities. The rank of the firm is an important factor as well. You鈥檒l save on gas and parking plus exercising all while helping the environment. You can't go wrong. As for the salary...you're breaking even with saving on travel and the horrible parking.
Congratulations on getting through law school!





Both options (sans the commute) appear to be nearly identical.





Do you know what your specific job tasks would be at each firm? I know that many times the bigger the firm the more they ask the junior attorneys to work (70+ hours a week). When you do the math, you actually make about $5/hour! Also, have you passed the bar exam yet? If you are going to take it at the end of July then you'll need to ask both firms if you will be given time to study for the exam (yes, many firms do that, they need to invest in their new hires). Oh, and don't forget to contact Westlaw and Lexis for barprep passwords (they give you passwords to use while you're studying for the bar exam, I would highly recommend it, as well as using BarBri or some other exam prep software to study for the Bar.)





Also, if you haven't chosen a primary practice of law, then that doesn't come into account here, but if you have, then that should also sway your decision. Also, if it were me, I would look in Westlaw and Lexis to see if either firm has a lawsuit pending against them (many firms have at least one negligence lawsuit against them, it goes with the business). I know I wouldn't want to work at a firm who has questionable scruples. Firms talk to each other. I once worked at a law firm who had a horrible reputation (I didn't know that when I accepted the job, however). One judge (who then became my mentor) recused himself from any case the partners brought to his court! Check message boards, Google the firms' name. Find out any dirt you can on them. You don't want to be jumping jobs every 6 months. Career-wise you won't get very far, and future employers will raise eyebrows at a checkered resume.





*I've been a paralegal in a Minneapolis law firm for the past 7 years.
There is something about both companies that appeals to you, otherwise you wouldn't consider them. Rather than focusing on the perks, consider the work you would be doing on a day-to-day basis. Ask yourself which job would be more personally satisfying for you--you'll be spending many hours a day doing it. Also consider the manager--determine whether this is someone who will help you develop or someone who will just use you to achieve her/his personal objectives.





Good luck!
Company A sounds like the better option. Can you ask your friend at Company A to match the salary of company B?
Okay, to me the answer sounds obvious.





Go with Company A. No problem with parking, bigger firm, you know someone high-up there, and you've trained there before so they know who you are.





I'll tell you, for someone who's been in the workforce for a while, a company that knows who you are is the best one to work for. If you've got people on the inside pulling for you, it's less likely a screw-up will send you to the unemployment line. You might be considered more often for raises and promotions. And, you know the working environment: if it's pleasant that makes more difference than all the money in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment