Monday, August 23, 2010

Confused and in need of advice. Can you help?

I work for someone who is a very influencial and upstanding leader in my country and, more particularly, the field I am currently pursuing. He is very close to the family and has played a tremendous role in many aspects of my life. He constantly provides assistance for which I am very grateful. I feel however, that I need to develop a personal sense of independence and want to discontinue working for him. Based on past events, I know that resigning from this job could lead to bitter relations that may affect my future career. I would like to begin working in another location---one in which he has no meaningful influence.





Your views and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you..Confused and in need of advice. Can you help?
Are you close enough to explain what you just said to him? This person might understand more then you know if you explain how grateful you are and just want to streatch your wings a bit.


You say ';Based on past events'; that this could go sour. I guess you have to be prepared to accept going out on your own will be just that...going alone . If you want this badly and have the resources to do so then go for it. You never know, it might be the best thing you ever did. Wont be easy....but might be worth it. GL!Confused and in need of advice. Can you help?
YVW and gl!

Report Abuse



Please think about talking to him. Why create bad will when possibly yiou can achieve goodwill? Can you achieve personal Independence still with his company, just in a different position, away from his influence and assistance?
I would get all the experience I could working for him for the time being.





Talk to him about your career aspirations, and ask his advice. Do not resign at this time. Get his buy-in, and his advice, which you have said is valuable.





Let him know you would like more independence, and ask if he has any projects you could do with an increased level of autonomy from him.





Good luck! You are lucky to have a mentor, please make the most of it!!
just tell him you are thinking you need to develope a sense of independence. I just say tell the truth, but dont say I dont want to work for you anymore. say it in a nicer way.
If he is truly close to the family have someone you trust and he is close to feel him out in this respect. If he genunely cares for you or your faamily he won't feel threatened that you want to strike out and make it on your own. he will feel as if he is giving his blessing to the venture and therefore still retain a sense of control. If you do it without his prior knowledge, he may feel slighted and that you are ungrateful. Good luck.
If this man is as ';upstanding'; as you say, then sit down and have a heart to heart conversation with him. Do not let fear get the best of you. Take action to overcome your fear. Explain to him how you're feeling, how instrumental he's been in getting you to this point, and how blessed you've been to be mentored and prepared for this moment of your life. He should understand that there's a point where every eagle must leave its nest and fly. Emphasize your gratitude for his relationship and how knowing him has prepared you for this next step of your life, to start a new thing. If he is a true leader, he will understand and give you his blessing as you enter this next stage of your life.
Wish I have someone to look over my shoulders and be there to help me when I fail. You shouldn't feel that you individuality is limited. Ask him for advice to branch out from what you are doing now and may be he will find you a post away from his authority.
  • bright lipstick
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment