Thursday, July 29, 2010

HELP need advice on moving to the NYC area!?

%26amp; can't wait to get out of my small town, but I will be making 25-30,000 starting off so I won't be living in the city. I don't mind living in NJ. I heard Hoboken is almost as expensive as the city. What about Montclair NJ? I know you can drive there, and probably won't be outrageously expensive? What would you recommend for a single 20 year old woman on my salary?HELP need advice on moving to the NYC area!?
You'd be better off getting a roommate but you could get a small apartment for under $1,000 in Queens, upper Manhattan and parts of brooklyn but that would be like half of your income. There are parts of Long Island that are cheaper than the city but not that much cheaper and the long island rail road is pretty expensive. I just got an basement studio in Queens for $850 in a nice neighborhood and I'm very close to manhattan but it's not the prettiest apartment in the world!HELP need advice on moving to the NYC area!?
You will still probably need to find a roommate on that salary, even in jersey.





Check out craigslist and look for people looking to rent out rooms.





I have friends that make 100k a year, and still struggle to make ends meet in NYC.
Montclair is more expansive than Bergen County. I live in Hasbrouck Heights, Bergen County and the rent for apartment here for 1 bedroom is like $1200 a month. So that's a nice thing for u. Good luck!
On that salary, a roommate is advisable, unless you're getting some rent help from your parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment