Sunday, July 25, 2010

I need vet advice... Please help (My dog has a split paw)?

I have a 4 1/2 year old mutt.


She has split her pad on her left back foot, about 2 weeks ago and I have tryed to rest it as much as i can but it still doesnt seem to be healing.





Do you have any advice as to how i treat it?





thank you for your advice.I need vet advice... Please help (My dog has a split paw)?
I was cleaning the paw of my dog today. I soaked it in medicated dog foam in warm water for ten minutes, then wrapped a bandage around it, put a sock on that, and let her sit on the lounge all day. If you bandage the foot they are less likely to walk on it because it is awkward. Being sedentary will allow it to heal.I need vet advice... Please help (My dog has a split paw)?
First off is it bleeding?


If so you need to make sure you keep it clean. Bandage it and take it to your vet. There is nothing you can do to fix the split but the vet would be able to glue it back together with surgical glue........and this is something that I DO NOT recommend you do for the simple fact that you can cause toxins to go into the dog if you do not have the right glue.





Basically there is nothing you can do for a split pad other than take it to the vet.





If you can not do that, then you need to make sure you keep it clean and bandage it at least once a day, try and make it as cushiony as you can using gauze pads that way your dog doesn't feel as much discomfort. The pad itself will not ever heal...it will do more like callous.


Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or you can go to the link below
Split or cut pads take a while to heal. You can have a vet look at it but I doubt he will be able to do much because the injury happened so long ago. Some mushers glue a ';blowout patch'; on injured pads. You might find out about them on sleddogcentral.com. I don't know much about them because my dogs have never had a serious enough injury to need one. Booties can help keep it clean.
Just keep it clean, you can wash it with warm water and a toothbrush and apply some betadine or something like that to it, if it is really bad it may need to be stitched.
wash it in warm water and bandage it then bring her to the vet or it could get worse
bathe the paw warm salty water bandage it and take her to the vet
i am soo sorry .
my mini foxy split his paw when he was just...we soaked it in salt water and put a bandage around it ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment